Published: Вс, Апреля 14, 2019
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Sudan Military Council Declines To Handover Ousted Al-Bashir To ICC

Sudan Military Council Declines To Handover Ousted Al-Bashir To ICC

The Sudanese group spearheading a nationwide protest movement described a decision by the head of a newly formed military council to step down on Friday as a "victory" for the people.

UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said that a two-year military council was "not the answer" and called for a "swift move to an inclusive, representative, civilian leadership".

On Thursday, the military ousted 75-year-old Omar al-Bashir after months of street protests by citizens.

But the African Union whose opposition to recent coups has cornered the military to hasty retreats appeared less decisive saying Bashir's military ouster, was "not the appropriate response to the challenges facing Sudan and the aspirations of its people".

Algeria's neighbour Morocco is run by a monarchy while heavyweight Egypt is headed by strongman President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, a former army general.

Sudan's acting United Nations envoy says the military council that took power after overthrowing President Omar al-Bashir "will be the guarantor of a civilian government".

"God willing, the government will be completely civilian..."

Protest organisers had earlier on Saturday urged people to keep marching to demand a civilian government after the defense minister and the intelligence chief stepped down.

Lt Gen Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan will take over as head of the military transitional council.

"The reason for the changes in Sudan is the pressure from protesters and pressures within the army, and the fear among military commanders of a split in the armed forces".

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which coordinates the popular protests, also rejected the statement by the defence minister and called on the protesters to continue demonstrating until "comprehensive change" is achieved.

Читайте также: Maurizio Sarri gives update on Chelsea FC’s forgotten man

Sudan's constitution was being suspended, border crossings were being shut until further notice and airspace was being closed for 24 hours, he added.

The military council also said it was declaring a ceasefire across the country, including in war-torn Darfur.

His announcement came as protests against the authorities continued, despite the ousting of long-time leader, Omar al-Bashir.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued two arrest warrants against Bashir for suspected genocide and war crimes.

"The new government authorities of Sudan must surrender al-Bashir, as well as Ahmad Muhammad Harun, Ali Muhammad Ali Abd-Al-Rahman (Ali Kushayb"), Abdel Raheem Muhammad Hussein, and Abdallah Banda Abakaer Nourain to the ICC in order to provide justice to the victims of the global crimes and the other perpetrators of the human right violations that have been committed in the country.

The newly appointed military leader is said to "have a cleaner record" than most generals, and have been seen interacting with protesters.

Sudan's deputy U.N. ambassador, Yasir Abdalla Abdelsalam Ahmed, told the U.N. Security Council on Friday that any democratic process in the country required time, and he urged the global community to support a peaceful transition.

A state of emergency has been announced and the military council that has been proclaimed intends to stay in power for two years followed by elections.

"We and all the opposition parties refuse to hand over power to the military".

Outside the Middle East, the formation of a military government to replace Bashir has met with widespread criticism.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Like this: