Published: Sun, March 17, 2019
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Chicago Muslim groups step up security after New Zealand mosque attacks

Chicago Muslim groups step up security after New Zealand mosque attacks

A 28-year-old Australian man identified as Brenton Harrison Tarrant was charged with murder after 49 people were killed in shootings at two mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch on Friday, The Guardian reported.

Ardern earlier on Saturday said that the attacker used five guns, two of them semi-automatic, that had all been obtained legally with an A-class gun license.

Police said 41 people were killed at the Al Noor mosque, while seven others died at the Linwood mosque. "All our condolences to the family of Elayyan and the families of the victims who died in the attacks".

New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush said on March 16, the morning after the massacre, that authorities have no information about any imminent threats in the country but that everyone should continue to be vigilant in the wake of mass shootings at two mosques.

The suspect also documented the shooting through a live video on Facebook.

Of the four people police apprehended on Friday, one was released ― an innocent bystander who "was just trying to get their kids home", Bush said.

Families of the Sandy Hook victims were recently given the green light to sue USA gunmaker Remington for knowingly marketing a military grade weapon that is "grossly unsuited" for civilian use and has become the gun of choice for mass killings.

"There is one charge of murder brought at the moment, it is reasonable to assume that there will be others", said Judge Paul Kellar.

A pair of rural New Zealand police officers dramatically arrested the suspected Christchurch gunman 36 minutes after authorities were alerted, it emerged Saturday, as the prime minister hailed their bravery.

"The offender was mobile, there were two other firearms in the vehicle the offender was in", Ardern said.

A fourth person who had been taken into custody was later determined to be an armed bystander who wanted to help police.

"Now is the time for change".

He appeared in Christchurch court on Saturday where he faced one charge before he was remanded in custody.

The terror attack suspect, who live-streamed for about 17 minutes his rampage through two mosques here, is an Australian-born citizen and is a resident of Dunedin, situated around 360 km south of Christchurch.

When speaking to reporters later, Aziz said he wasn't the one that deserves credit for his quick thinking.

Following the attack, mosques around the country remain closed until further notice. "There are obviously questions being asked of how this person was able to enter the country and undertake this act of terror", the premier said.

"Regardless of how that result went, that wouldn't have been the most important part of my day".

One worshiper, Mohan Ibn Ibrahim, said he was inside one of the mosques when the shooting began.

"These are people that I would describe as having extremist views, that have absolutely no place in New Zealand and in fact have no place in the world".

"I hate to think about it, but really when we were getting away I was fearing for the worst, I mean anything could have happened to us".

Like this: