Published: Fri, March 15, 2019
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

IRA Claims Responsibility For London & Glasgow Parcel Bombs

IRA Claims Responsibility For London & Glasgow Parcel Bombs

The individual who claimed responsibility specified that three devices had been sent to commercial targets and the remaining two were sent to British Army recruitment centers, according to The Telegraph.

A joint statement from the Metropolitan Police and Police in Scotland said the devices resembled those used in the past by dissident groups in Northern Ireland, meaning they had therefore been "already looking at this line of enquiry".

Police in Britain confirmed that the parcel bomb that was sent to West London partly initiated when it was opened by staff but no-one was injured.

It claimed to have sent five devices, but police have so far only found four.

"Enquiries are being made in relation to the claim".

The claim said five bombs had been sent out, but only four have been discovered at Heathrow, London City Airport, Waterloo Station and the University of Glasgow. They bore stamps issued by Ireland's post office to mark Valentine's Day, with the explosive devices stuffed into A4-size yellow Jiffy bags contained within white postal bags.

RTE reports that Gardaí, the Irish police force, believes the New IRA is increasing its activity in Northern Ireland (which remains part of the U.K.), citing the recent the incidents in the United Kingdom and a auto bomb that exploded in Derry, Northern Ireland.

Authorities in the United Kingdom have contacted businesses with instructions on how to address any explosive devices they receive.

Businesses have also been told to report any suspicious packages to police.

The packages were found on March 5 and 6 in London and Glasgow respectively.

A suspect package that was sent to Heathrow airport and caught fire is seen in England.

A London City Airport spokesman said: "Yesterday's incident did not affect flights and passengers should continue with their travel plans as normal".

Several university buildings were evacuated before bomb disposal officers detonated the item. The package was not opened and no one was injured. Specialist officers subsequently carried out a controlled explosion of the device.

Last week a parcel was sent to Glasgow University, while three similar packages were left at transport hubs in London. In an emergency always dial 999. Both investigation teams are working closely together to share any information or intelligence that could assist their respective inquiries.

Like this: