Published: Wed, March 13, 2019
Sports | By Juana Wells

Anthony Barr to stay with Minnesota after turning down New York Jets

Anthony Barr to stay with Minnesota after turning down New York Jets

Earlier on Tuesday, linebacker Anthony Barr had second thoughts on signing with the Jets and chose to return to the Vikings.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Barr told NY he "had to sleep on it" after planning to sign and then the Vikings presented a better offer on Tuesday, which Barr then agreed to.

The blitzing linebacker was the Jets' first coup of free agency and was followed Tuesday morning by reports they had signed C.J. Mosley to a five-year, $85 million deal.

The 26-year-old is coming off a 55-tackle, three-sack campaign for the Vikings last year.

The one big advantage the Vikings likely had in their negotiations is the fact that Barr is familiar with their defense.

After signing receivers Jamison Crowder and Josh Bellamy early in the day, the Jets made another huge splash by luring Barr away from the Minnesota Vikings.

Anthony Barr has chose to stay in Minnesota. The contract includes $33 million in guaranteed money, according to an National Football League source. For his career, he has 13.5 sacks while averaging 68 tackles per season over five seasons. He's been a Pro Bowler each of the last four years. That being said, it's highly unlikely the Vikings went above $15 million per year, because that's roughly how much it would have cost to franchise tag Barr for the 2019 season.

Barr's fate had been a hot topic among the Vikings' past two offseasons as the team tried to extend all of their young players while also making a major financial commitment to new quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Like this: