Published: Sat, February 09, 2019
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Turkey rescuers pull 5-year-old girl from rubble

Turkey rescuers pull 5-year-old girl from rubble

Emergency rescue teams are trying to reach the four people left under the rubble.

Cevizli local headman Memiş Dikilitaş told Turkish broadcaster NTV that there was no explosion before the collapse, noting that the building, which was old, collapsed on its own.

Police, ambulances and firefighters raced to the scene in the Kartal district of Turkey's largest city and pulled three people of the rubble.

The death toll from a building collapse in Istanbul has climbed to six after three more bodies were recovered, the governor said on Thursday.

Istanbul Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said Thursday the search for survivors would continue "uninterrupted".

Authorities haven't disclosed how many people remain unaccounted for.

According to the governor, rescue teams working overnight pulled 12 people out of the rubble with injuries.

Media reports said three of the eight floors had been illegally built in what is a relatively common practice in this metropolis of some 15 million.

Security camera footage broadcast on HaberTurk television showed several people, including schoolchildren with backpacks, running away from the site as the building tumbled down and a cloud of dust engulfed the area about 4 pm.

At least three people were killed in the disaster, and another three were critically ill in hospital. Following Wednesday's collapse of the seven-story building in the Kartal district with some 30 residents inside, adjacent buildings were evacuated due to safety concerns. He added that the basement factory was also operating without a business license.

One four-storey structure crumbled a year ago following violent thunderstorms and in January 2017, two people died when another building collapsed in a working class part of town.

Like this: