Published: Fri, February 08, 2019
Arts&Culture | By Matthew Castillo

R Kelly deletes tweet announcing tour after backlash

R Kelly deletes tweet announcing tour after backlash

Lifetime's documentary series "Surviving R. Kelly" last month drew even more attention to the allegations, and his record label has reportedly dropped him.

Disgraced R&B star R. Kelly, who is the subject of multiple sexual misconduct allegations spanning 24 years, announced an official New Zealand tour yesterday but now the social media announcement has been taken down.

But now, to the surprise of few, Kelly has deleted the tweet announcing said tour.

The tour announced this morning is being presented by Australian company Flamingo Dreamz, who have previously promoted tours with the likes of Fatman Scoop, Ja Rule and Ashanti.

He married 15-year-old singer Aaliyah in 1994, when he was 27. Most infamously, Kelly was charged with child pornography in 2000 after a video surfaced that purported to show him having sex with an underage woman (Kelly was cleared in 2008 after that woman declined to testify against him).

The jury eventually concluded they could not prove the girl in the videotapes relating to the charges was a minor, and Kelly was found not guilty on all counts.

R. Kelly and Aaliyah in 1994.

However, as 10 daily reported at the time, several national promoters were originally pitching for a potential tour, later backing out when Kelly's alleged offences were once again in the headlines.

As The Blast points out, the interesting part about the announcement is not only that it comes less than a month after Surviving R. Kelly aired, but that he initially denied a similar global tour announcement in December.

R. Kelly performs during his "Buffet" tour in 2016 in Chicago. Lady Gaga removed her song with Kelly from streaming platforms and Sony Music made a decision to part ways with him.

In the past, the Australian government has refused visas to people based on certain "character requirements", Australian news site, 10 Daily, reports.

Australia's Home Affairs Department said it did not comment on individual cases.

Like this: