Published: Mon, January 07, 2019
Arts&Culture | By Matthew Castillo

Hollywood star Kevin Spacey in court over sexual assault charge

Hollywood star Kevin Spacey in court over sexual assault charge

Kevin Spacey is set to appear in court on accusations that he groped an 18-year-old man in 2016.

A reporter speaks outside of Nantucket District Court Monday morning prior to Kevin Spacey arriving.

Spacey was sacked from his hit Netflix drama House of Cards and director Ridley Scott edited him out of his Getty family drama All the Money in the World and replaced the Oscar victor with Christopher Plummer.

Authorities say Spacey got an 18-year-old bus boy drunk, and fondled the teen under his trousers without consent, while visiting The Club Car in Nantucket, Massachusetts in July 2016.

An attorney for Spacey, Juliane Balliro, had argued that Spacey's presence at his arraignment would only "heighten prejudicial media interest in the case" and increase the risk of contaminating the jury pool. Spacey attorney Alan Jackson said there is data that is "likely exculpatory".

The busboy told his family about the alleged assault at the time but did not report the incident to police until more than a year later.

Judge Thomas Barrett warned the gallery not to disrupt the proceedings with cellphones or electronics as Spacey peered around the room smirking.

Kevin Spacey and Alan Jackson
Kevin Spacey and Alan Jackson NICOLE HARNISHFEGER POOL EPA-EFE REX Shutterstock

The Old Vic in London, where Spacey was artistic director, issued a statement in November 2017 saying there had been 20 allegations against him, but none of them were made while he worked there. The reason he cited is him being living out of state and his presence would "amplify the negative publicity already generated" in the case.

The alleged victim is the son of former television news presenter Heather Unruh, who spoke publicly about the incident a year ago.

Garabedian is not a part of the criminal case against Spacey.

The first public report of alleged abuse by him came from actor Anthony Rapp, who claimed that Mr Spacey sexually abused him when Mr Rapp was 14, in 1986.

After the charge was announced last month, Spacey released a video in the voice of Frank Underwood, his character on Netflix's "House of Cards", in which he said, "I'm certainly not going to pay the price for the thing I didn't do".

United Kingdom police are also investigating several allegations that centre around his time serving as artistic director at London's Old Vic theatre. Spacey said he did not remember such an encounter but apologized if the allegations were true.

Like this: