Published: Fri, November 09, 2018
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Police blame lone wolf terrorist for deadly attack on Bourke Street

Police blame lone wolf terrorist for deadly attack on Bourke Street

Some cordons were lifted later, though the immediate crime scene would be sealed until Saturday, police said.

"Police shot the male in the chest".

Members of the public who witnessed the event and wish to make a statement are asked to attend Melbourne West Police Station at 313 Spencer Street, Melbourne.

Supt Clayton told reporters that when officers got out of the vehicle, they were confronted by a male brandishing a knife and threatening them.

Earlier reports suggested a person had been taken to hospital with a neck injury, in a suspected critical condition, another with a head injury and a third with unknown injuries.

"We are still trying to piece together whether the vehicle was lit, then he got out the auto or whether he got out of the auto and then the vehicle took flame", Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton told reporters.

Police confront the alleged attacker on Bourke Street.

A man, believed to be the driver, stabbed three people and was then shot by police.

"Trolley man", who has not yet been identified, has been praised online for his bravery, alongside several other members of the public who rushed to help the three victims who had been stabbed in the attack. "Unfortunately one is dead at the scene, two others are at hospital". Though the erratic gunman demanded that police deliver him a Daesh flag at the outset of the crisis, there was no evidence he had established contact with the militant group.

The unidentified man was shot by police after three people were stabbed, one fatally, on Friday afternoon. They were immediately attacked by the suspect wielding his knife.

About 6pm, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton holds a press conference just metres from where the incident unfolded.

Melburnians have praised the bravery of police and Trolley Man as they come to terms with yet another horrific incident on Bourke Street.

Victoria Police said that the attack in the Melbourne CBD is now being treated as a terrorism incident.

Police cordon off Bourke St after a vehicle explosion. "From what we know of that individual, we are treating this as a terrorism incident", he said of the attacker. He sprung back into action and charged back towards the attacker, shoving the trolley back in his direction as police opened fire.

Like this: