Published: Sat, November 03, 2018
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Saudi sisters found dead stayed at luxury hotels

Saudi sisters found dead stayed at luxury hotels

Shea said police examined credit card receipts and other evidence that showed the sisters arrived in NY in September and stayed at various high-end hotels in recent weeks. The family said they were not in contact with them.

Some kind of suicide is still a leading theory in the sisters' deaths, however.

The sisters spent their final weeks staying at high-end hotels in NY including the Hilton and Hyatt, Shea said.

The jogger who said he saw the sisters praying went to the police on Wednesday.

Then, late last month, the card maxed out. Detectives are combing Midtown Manhattan for surveillance footage and witness accounts to piece together their whereabouts.

"There are still some gaps that we would like to fill in and get a real clear picture of what happened in the last two months", said Shea. "They just came and went". The undated photos were released by the NYPD on October 31, 2018. Police earlier said Rotana was 22 years old.

Two sisters whose bodies were found on a waterfront bound together by duct tape are thought to have killed themselves to avoid being send back home.

The source told officials he was in a playground near the Hudson River on West 158th Street on October 24 when he saw two women sitting about 30 feet apart.

But at the end of August, they again vanished before their bodies were found in NY.

The sisters were last seen in Fairfax on August 24, but had not been living at home since November of 2017 after reportedly being abused by their mother, father and brother.

Officer Tara Gerhard, a spokeswoman for the Fairfax department, said the sisters were "referred to services", but she could not specify what type of services, or offer additional details, citing privacy laws.

Were the girls seeking asylum?


Shea added that it appeared the sisters were alive when they entered the water and that other sources told detectives they would "rather inflict harm on themselves" than return to Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi Embassy in Washington had called their mother to inform her that her daughters had applied for asylum in the United States, The New York Times reported this week. "We treat everything like a crime until we know otherwise", he said.

But the Saudi newspaper "Arab News", citing family members, reported that the search was called off when it was discovered she was visiting her sister at an unspecified college in NY.

As per the Associated Press, the little girls have been identified as 16-year-old, Tala Farea, and 22-year-old, Rotana Farea, who lived in Fairfax, Virginia. HuffPost could not independently confirm this, and the Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Like this: