Published: Fri, November 02, 2018
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Turkey confirms Khashoggi was strangled, dismembered immediately after entering Saudi Consulate

Turkey confirms Khashoggi was strangled, dismembered immediately after entering Saudi Consulate

He has met with Istanbul's chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan twice, and inspected the Saudi consulate.

"The victim's body was dismembered and destroyed following his death by suffocation", the statement said. The newspaper claimed that his fingers were cut off and that he was killed by being beheaded.

When news of Mr Khashoggi's disappearance first started to circulate, Saudi Arabia said Mr Khashoggi had walked out of the building alive.

Saudi officials initially said they have no knowledge of what happened.

Turkey is seeking the extradition of 18 suspects detained in Saudi Arabia over the journalist's slaying.

The chief prosecutor's office in Istanbul said that during those meetings, Turkey and Saudi Arabia had "agreed to investigate, search and uncover all details of the event from all angles and to bring those who carried out and planned it to ... justice".

Asked if she held Crown Prince Mohammed or the Saudi royal family responsible, she said: "I and my government would like all those responsible, from the person who gave this order to those who carried it out, to be brought to justice and punished under global law".

The Turkish prosecutor's announcement of the cause of death comes just days after Saudi chief prosecutor Saud al-Mojeb left Istanbul.

After releasing the results of its initial investigations, the Saudi Public Prosecution announced that 18 people were arrested over their alleged connections to the killing.

"This incident, this assassination, took place in the Saudi consulate", she said, speaking through a translator.

Celik added: "We are not blaming anyone in advance but we will not allow anything to be covered up". His Turkish fiancee was waiting for him outside.

Pompeo said last week that the United States had identified 21 Saudis whose visas would either be revoked or who would be ineligible for future visas and said that more action would come.

Mr Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the Saudi rulers, had gone to the consulate to collect paperwork needed to marry fiancee Hatice Cengiz, who has given a barbed message to US President Donald Trump over the killing.

Under mounting global pressure, Saudi Arabia has changed its narrative about Khashoggi's death several times.

Since the Washington Post columnist vanished earlier this month, Turkish officials have strategically leaked key developments in the case to control the narrative.

President Trump also bought into the Saudi's denial before new evidence emerged, and has argued against canceling lucrative weapons deals with the kingdom despite the human rights atrocity.

Like this: