Published: Tue, October 30, 2018
Business | By Eloise Houston

Khashoggi's fiancee says Saudi authorities responsible for his murder

Khashoggi's fiancee says Saudi authorities responsible for his murder

The meeting between Al-Muajab and Fidan, which lasted for about 75 minutes, has ended, the agency said without elaborating. The outcome of the talks was not immediately clear.

Saudi Arabia's flag flies atop the country's consulate in Istanbul, Friday, Oct. 26, 2018.

Khashoggi's death at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul almost four weeks ago has escalated into a crisis for the world's top oil exporter, which initially denied any knowledge of or role in his death.

Crispin Blunt MP, who sits on the all party parliamentary group on Saudi Arabia, told those gathered at the memorial: "Jamal's death is a very profound moment".

The writer was highly critical of the Saudi leadership and left his homeland for the United States past year after growing fearful for his safety.

Turkish security sources have said that Khashoggi's body, which has still not been found, was cut up into multiple pieces by a team of 15 Saudi operatives.

"No foreign leader who is not enslaved to Saudi Arabia financially would dare to be seen standing next to him", Whitson said.

Germany, which has pledged to suspend arms exports to Saudi Arabia over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, yesterday said it expects the European Union to adopt a common position on potential limits to weapons sales.

Saudi prosecutors said Mr Khashoggi's murder was premeditated, changing the country's account again to try to ease worldwide outrage.

But the investigation "should not be prolonged", he said.

In a moving tribute to Khashoggi - who was killed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 - Cengiz called on the global community to ensure there is no cover-up of his murder.

"This incident, this assassination, took place in the Saudi consulate".

Khashoggi, 59, an outspoken critic of the Saudi government, had been living in self-imposed exile in the United States since 2017, when Saudi authorities launched a massive crackdown on dissent.

Many current and former Western officials have argued that such an operation could have been authorised only by Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Months later, al-Mojeb played a key role when high-level Saudi princes, businessmen, government officials and military officers were detained and stripped of significant sums of their wealth in exchange for freedom.

Riyadh has dismissed the request, saying they will be prosecuted in Saudi Arabia.

At a memorial service Monday night in London, Cengiz said she never imagined such barbarity was awaiting Khashoggi inside the consulate.

"I am disappointed by the actions of the leadership in many countries, particularly in the US", she said.

"When I asked him why he was anxious, he didn't really want to reply, but eventually he told me he was getting proof that Saudi Arabia had used chemical weapons".

"I believe the Saudi regime knows where his body is", she told the audience at the service, sponsored by the Middle East Monitor and Al Sharq Forum.

Like this: