Published: Fri, October 12, 2018
Arts&Culture | By Matthew Castillo

Prosecutor Drops Part Of Sex Assault Case Against Harvey Weinstein

Prosecutor Drops Part Of Sex Assault Case Against Harvey Weinstein

Weinstein's lawyer Benjamin Brafman maintained the jettisoned count is a sign the entire case is built on a weak foundation, one he and the legal team intend to spend the next several weeks undermining.

Brafman asked in August for the entire case against Weinstein be thrown out, disclosing dozens of intimate emails between his client and his alleged rape victim, in which she said "I love you".

An unnamed woman is argued to also have had email exchanges with Weinstein that show the encounters were consensual.

Prosecutor Joan Illuzzi-Orbon told reporters she remains confident in the case against Weinstein.

"It only speaks volumes about the Manhattan district attorney's office and its mishandling of my client's case".

In July, a Manhattan grand jury voted to charge Weinstein with additional counts of sexual assault, stemming from what prosecutors deemed a forcible sexual act against a third woman in 2006.

As the accusations against Weinstein mounted, his company Weinstein Co fired him and filed for bankruptcy, and he was expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. had charged Mr. Weinstein with crimes including rape and predatory sexual assault. Goldberg said that the decision "does not invalidate the truth of her (client's) claims". Weinstein denies all allegations of non-consensual sex. "Nor does it reflect on Lucia's consistent allegation that she was sexually assaulted with force by Harvey Weinstein", Goldberg said outside the courthouse.

Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein has one less count of sexual assault being brought against him before his trial begins.

Sometime later, Evans told the pal that she had gone to Weinstein's office "where the Defendant told her, in substance, that he would arrange for the Complainant to receive an acting job if she agreed to perform oral sex upon him".

He is due back in court on December 20.

The developments in Weinstein's case on Thursday capped a tough six-day stretch for the #MeToo movement, bookended by Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation amid decades-old allegations that he had committed sexual misconduct.

Law enforcement didn't name the women involved, but Evans, a marketing consultant and former aspiring actress, had previously described the 2004 incident with Weinstein in Miramax's Tribeca office to the New Yorker.

"This is not about suggesting that a woman who comes forward should not be believed", Brafman said in a press conference.

Five charges involving alleged sex assaults on two women remain.

The friend told prosecutors that Evans admitted she performed the sex act and during the conversation was "upset, embarrassed and shaking".

Film producer Harvey Weinstein sits during his hearing at Manhattan Criminal Court in N.Y., October 11, 2018. Brafman has called the charges against Weinstein a product of political pressure amid the (hash) MeToo outcry.

The 66-year-old father of five, out on a $1 million bail and forced to wear a Global Positioning System monitor, attended the latest court hearing and denies any non-consensual sexual relations.

Like this: