Published: Fri, October 12, 2018
Sci-tech | By April Francis

Astronauts Survive Emergency Landing After Booster Fails On Russian Rocket

Astronauts Survive Emergency Landing After Booster Fails On Russian Rocket

A Soyuz rocket booster failed during the launch of a capsule carrying NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Alexey Ovchinin Thursday, forcing officials to abort their mission.

Hague and Ovchinin were shown being violently shaken in the vessel, and shortly thereafter the feed cut out - to be replaced with a look inside NASA's mission control room.

With the failure of this launch, there are far-reaching consequences for the world's human space programs, and for those astronauts and cosmonauts now on board the International Space Station.

"That was a quick flight", Ovchinin said calmly during the emergency landing.

United States astronaut Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Aleksey Ovchinin were rescued without injuries in Kazakhstan.

The rocket was launched from the Soviet-era cosmodrome in Baikonur, Kazakhstan.

The incident came as the rocket was travelling about 7,563km/h, just 119 seconds into the voyage, according to NASA. Roscosmos, the Russian firm that operates the nation's space agency and is responsible for Soyuz launches, will not hold any news conferences today.

An image of the failed October 11, 2018, launch from the ground near Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

"We're tightening our seatbelts", Ovchinin said on the video.

"That was a short flight".

Wiseman said 34 minutes passed from that point to the moment the capsule landed under its enormous parachute. Thanks to 1000 rescue workers!

Sergei Krikalev, a senior Roscosmos official, said on Friday that Russian Federation may also delay a planned unmanned cargo shipment by a Progress spacecraft to the ISS. Everything had been going quite smoothly for Roscosmos ahead of the freakish hole discovered in one of their Soyuz spacecraft which was (and still is) attached to the International Space Station.

This week's mishap marked the fourth time in the Soyuz program history that the ballistic mode of re-entry has occurred. NASA also said in a statement that "NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and the NASA team are monitoring the situation carefully", and that a "thorough investigation" will be conducted.

"Officials are now examining the launch site, documents are being seized", it said in a statement.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said he expected Russian President Vladimir Putin would be briefed on the incident.

In 2008, Expedition 16 crew experienced a similar steep ballistic descent on return from the ISS as did cosmonauts returning from the Salyut space station in 1979.

The Russian Soyuz rocket was forced to make an emergency landing today after suffering from a malfunction. The crew had planned to examine a hole in a Russian spacecraft docked at the orbiting station.

But even the space station has proved a source of controversy in recent weeks.

Rogozin, the Roscosmos chief, has raised wide consternation by saying that an air leak spotted at the International Space Station was a drill hole that was made intentionally during manufacturing or in orbit. The Soyuz-U was retired a year ago and the FG model is still used to ferry astronauts to the ISS.

The Russian Soyuz spacecraft is now the only vehicle for ferrying crews to the International Space Station following the retirement of the USA space shuttle fleet.

Like this: