Published: Thu, October 11, 2018
Business | By Eloise Houston

Exiled Egyptian opposition leader expresses fear after Khashoggi disappearance

Exiled Egyptian opposition leader expresses fear after Khashoggi disappearance

US President Donald Trump demanded answers Wednesday over the disappearance of respected Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi as his top lieutenants pressured Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over the fate of the Washington Post writer. Saudi Arabia gave no official response to the allegation that members of its security services were on the planes.

"We have seen conflicting reports on the safety and whereabouts of prominent Saudi journalist and Washington Post contributor Jamal Khashoggi", Pompeo said in a statement. "We want to see what's going on. Now, as you know, they're saying 'We had nothing to do with it.' But so far everyone's saying they had nothing to do with it". "We can not let this happen, to reporters, to anyone". Saudi Arabia still insists it's all baseless. The Trump administration's Middle East policy, ranging from issues of Iran, Syria and Israel, has been built around the Saudi alliance despite criticism of the kingdom's abysmal human rights record and the war in Yemen.

Jamal Khashoggi vanished at the Saudi consulate in Turkey last week.

Of the crown prince, who is often referred to as "MBS", Corker went on to say, "MBS is a person of the future".

The Washington Post reported Wednesday evening that us intelligence intercepts outlined a Saudi plan to detain Khashoggi.

Wednesday's Turkish media reports were the most detailed accounts yet of what they say is the Turkish government's investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance.

Turkish NTV also broadcast security camera footage on Wednesday that it said showed the men arriving at the airport and checking into a hotel, as well as videos of what it said was a van arriving at the consul general's residence two hours after Khashoggi entered the consulate, about 250 meters (820 ft) away.

FILE _ This image taken from CCTV video obtained by the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet and made available on Oct. 9, 2018 claims to show Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Oct. 2, 2018.

What else does the video show?

Those unnamed officials said they believed the operation was carried out by a squad of 15 people flown into Turkey on two charter flights ― something that could only have been ordered by the country's leadership due to its complexity and risk. The footage shows Khashoggi entering the consulate on October 2.

Erdoğan added that Turkey has asked Saudi officials to allow Turkish authorities to investigate the incident at the consulate premises and steps have been taken within the framework of the Vienna Convention, since the Saudis have given permission to a Turkish investigation team to enter the consulate. Under the Vienna Convention, foreign diplomatic missions are sovereign territory and a host country can not enter without permission. Saudi Arabia may have agreed to the search in order to reassure its Western allies and the worldwide community.

Indication of those stakes came within four months of Trump taking office, when Saudi Arabia became his first destination on a presidential trip and he announced $110 billion in proposed arms sales. The two countries are also at odds over Iran's role in the region and the Muslim Brotherhood, both of which Saudi Arabia views as threats.

Khashoggi had written a series of columns for the Washington Post that were critical of Saudi Arabia's assertive Prince Mohammed, who has led a widely publicized drive to reform the conservative Sunni monarchy but has also presided over the arrests of activists and businessmen.

Like this: