Published: Tue, October 02, 2018
Medicine | By Tracy Klein

NJ Surfer Dies From Rare, "Brain-Eating Amoeba"

NJ Surfer Dies From Rare,

A New Jersey surfer is dead after contracting a rare and deadly "brain-eating amoeba" weeks after he swam at a water resort in Texas.

Fabrizio Stabile, of Ventor, reportedly contracted the amoeba from a wave pool at a surf resort in central Texas. The agency is testing for Naegleria fowleri, colloquially known as a "brain-eating amoeba".

Fabrizio Stabile came down with a "severe headache" while mowing his lawn in Ventnor, NJ., on September 16. Those infected usually die within about five days. However, such as in the case of Stabile, Naegleria fowleri can be contracted when contaminated water enters the body through the nose, either in a chlorinated swimming pool water or if one uses contaminated tap water to rinse their sinuses. He said the surf resort is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. told The Associated Press that the park is closed and is cooperating with the investigation into Stabile's death.

The amoeba is most commonly found in areas of warm freshwater like lakes or hot springs.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

"The CDC collected water samples and are now investigating to find the source", Kelly Craine, a Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesperson, told KBTX Sunday.

In the wake of Stabile's death, his family has created The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness to educate others about the rare and preventable infection.

Ten days later, Naegleria fowleri was also detected in a Louisiana water system near Shreveport on September 26, according to KTBS.

The resort, BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort, has voluntarily closed pending test results for the amoeba.

Of the 34 cases reported in the United States between 2008 and 2017, 30 people had been infected by recreational water, three people were infected after performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water, and one person was infected by contaminated tap water used on a backyard water toy. "We hope to have results by the end of the week". The fatality rate is over 97 percent, with only four people surviving the infection, according to statistics kept since 1962.

Like this: