Published: Mon, October 01, 2018
Medicine | By Tracy Klein

Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for "Brain Eating Amoeba"

Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for

A "brain-eating amoeba" infection is the suspected cause of death for a 29-year-old New Jersey man who died after visiting a Texas water park, according to his family. Stabile had previously been surfing in the pool - but it is unknown at this time whether he contracted Naegleria Fowleri from the water in the Waco facility.

Stabile died at the Atlantic City Medical Center in New Jersey on September 21, days after returning home from Texas, NJ.com reported.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died September 21, according to his obituary.

In rare cases, the amoeba has been found in inadequately chlorinated swimming pools and even tap water.

According to an article in the Waco Tribune-Herald, BSR surf resort voluntarily closed its wavepool on Friday while the Center for Disease Control tested for Naegleria fowleri, an extremely rare and deadly single-celled organism known as the "brain-eating amoeba".

CDC crews collected water samples, trying to find the source of the contamination.

The CDC says people are typically infected when they go diving or swimming in warm freshwater places.

It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

The disease, according to the CDC, is nearly always fatal, with only four people out of 143 cases have survived the infection.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", Parsons said.

He said the surf resort, which operates an artificial man-made wave, is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

Like this: