Published: Sat, September 15, 2018
Sci-tech | By April Francis

SpaceX to reveal plans, passenger for private moon mission

SpaceX to reveal plans, passenger for private moon mission

The space exploration startup tweeted this morning that it had signed its first passenger up for a trip in the company's BFR rocket. "No one has visited since the last Apollo mission in 1972".

The webcast is embedded below.

In February, SpaceX debuted the long-awaited Falcon Heavy, which became the world's most powerful operational launch vehicle, the report said. SpaceX spokespeople told the Wall Street Journal that the mission as still going to happen but remained tight-lipped about more details.

The BFR is bigger than the Falcon Heavy and has its own dedicated area for crew.

This is not the first time the California-based company, headed by Internet entrepreneur and Tesla electric vehicle CEO Elon Musk, has touted plans to send tourists around the Moon.

The names and identities of those two tourists - and how much they meant to pay - were never revealed.

US President Donald Trump has championed plans to put boots on the Moon again, as NASA works on building a lunar gateway that would serve as a launching point for missions heading even further into deep space, such as asteroids or Mars.

In June, it was revealed by the Wall Street Journal that SpaceX wouldn't be sending a couple around the moon on its Dragon spacecraft later this year, a promise that was touted in early-2017.

He introduced the BFR, composed of a rocket and spaceship, last year, saying it was aimed at allowing people to colonize Mars and that the company wanted to land two cargo ships on the Red Planet in 2022.

Its design was first presented almost a year ago, and the concept boasted a single system that included a booster and a ship that could travel to the moon and Mars.

Like this: