Published: Tue, July 17, 2018
Worldwide | By Myra Stephens

Protests Erupt in Chicago After Police Kill Black Man on South Side

Protests Erupt in Chicago After Police Kill Black Man on South Side

During the protest that followed the shooting, officers pulled people to the ground and struck them with batons.

Augustus became combative and pushed officers' arms away before reaching for a weapon on his waist band, Waller said. An officer opened fire when he appeared to reach for a gun.

The footage then zooms in on the weapon.

The police claim he was reaching for his gun at the time of the shooting. COPA said they will release all video no later than 60 days from the date of the shooting in accordance with the city's transparency policy.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said Sunday that detectives have found no documentation that Augustus had a concealed carry permit, but Calloway said there is no way officers at the scene could have known that when they approached him.

Gloria Rainge, 41, says she was leaving a Walgreens when she noticed a cop telling the man to stop selling cigarettes.

Johnson says the gun was a semiautomatic handgun but that he's not sure what caliber. They tossed rocks, bottles and jumped on police cars as the protest escalated near the crime scene in the 2000 block of 71st Street.

There has been a string of USA police killings of black men that have sparked nationwide protests, but the name, age and race of the man shot were not released by police early Sunday.

Augustus died of multiple gunshots wounds, medical examiners said.

Police plan to release footage from officers' body-worn cameras later Sunday.

The 37-year old man who was shot, is identified as Harith Augustus, who worked as a barber in the area.

"This shooting by the police was entirely justified", FOP President Kevin Graham was quoted as saying in a post on the police union's blog. The city erupted in protest in 2015 after the release of a video showing a white police officer shoot a black 17-year-old, Laquan McDonald 16 times a year earlier.

Chicago Police Chief Fred Waller said a group of officers patrolling the city's South Shore neighborhood at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday saw a person they believed to be armed and confronted him. Waller added that officers, who were posted in the area, spotted a bulge in the man's trousers that they suspected was a weapon.

The protesters took to the streets on Sunday after a fatal police shooting. Four protesters were arrested, Reuters reported.

Mr Guglielmi said Augustus did appear to try to grab something at his waist.

Residents subsequently clashed with police. One man died after diving into a shallow canal in Annecy, and in Saint-Felix, another died after crashing his auto into a tree. Anthony Guglielmi, chief communications officer for the Chicago Police Department, later tweeted four protesters were arrested. Officers responded by drawing their sidearms and shooting the man.

Like this: