Published: Wed, July 11, 2018
Arts&Culture | By Matthew Castillo

All 12 Boys, Soccer Coach Rescued from Flooded Cave in Thailand

All 12 Boys, Soccer Coach Rescued from Flooded Cave in Thailand

An elite team of Thai Navy SEALs and foreign rescue divers on Tuesday began what they hoped would be a final push to rescue four boys and their soccer coach from a cave near the Thai-Myanmar border after extracting eight others through a labyrinth of tight passages. "All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave", the Navy SEAL unit, which led the rescue, said on its Facebook page, adding all were safe.

Cheers erupted from the dozens of volunteers and journalists awaiting news of whether the intricate and high-risk rescue mission had succeeded.

All 12 of the boys trapped in a cave in northern Thailand have now been rescued, along with their 25-year-old coach, according to reports in the Mirror.

Thai navy SEALs and an Australian medic who had been stationed with the boys for days, preparing them for their dive, were brought out of the cave soon after.

The group is "going to be kept in isolation for the next few days - possibly a week", she said. Medical officials told reporters Tuesday that they're healthy, fever-free, mentally fit and talking.

FBN's Cheryl Casone on the rescue of a soccer team and their coach from a cave in Thailand.

On Monday, family members told CNN officials hadn't revealed which children had been rescued and who was still inside the cave Families had vowed to wait at the cave entrance until all of the boys, and their coach, were taken out.

Onlookers in front of Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital watch and cheer as ambulances transport the last rescued schoolboys and their coach to the hospital from a helipad nearby, on July 10, 2018, in Chiang Rai, Thailand. After a long and unsafe rescue effort, the last members of the group were brought to safety today (July 10).

The Tham Luang cave system will now be closed for some time, prime minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha said. However, eight boys have been brought to safety during the last two days and the remaining five are expected to be brought out today.

Two have been treated for minor lung infections, doctors added.

President Trump tweeted his congratulations, describing the emergence of the last four boys and their coach as "such a handsome moment".

The first three children brought out this morning were treated first in a field hospital before they were stable enough to be transported to a normal hospital, reported the NOS from Thailand.

A message posted on the English Premier League club's Twitter account said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected".

They are part of a youth soccer team known as the Wild Boars.

Like this: