Published: Mon, July 09, 2018
Medicine | By Tracy Klein

Del Monte Vegetable Snacks Linked to Intestinal Parasite Outbreak

Del Monte Vegetable Snacks Linked to Intestinal Parasite Outbreak

More than 200 people in several Midwest states have been sickened by a parasite in food from plastic vegetable trays sold under the Del Monte brand.

Those trays - which included broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip - also were available in IN at Kwik Trip/Kwik Star locations.

In a statement, the CDC said seven people had been hospitalized after eating the vegetables, which were sold in 6-, 12- and 28-ounce packages. Some people who are infected with Cyclospora do not have any symptoms. As many as 54 cases have also been reported in Minnesota, along with a handful in Iowa and MI. Del Monte Fresh Produce vegetable tray) 7 1752472518 9 (12 oz. According to the Food and Drug Administration, symptoms of cyclosporiasis include severe diarrhea, stomach cramps, bloating, nausea, and fatigue. Other symptoms may include vomiting, body aches, headache, fever and other flu-like symptoms.

Cyclosporiasis is caused by a microscopic parasite of humans, called Cyclospora cayetanensis, according to the FDA.

'The Cyclospora parasite needs time (days to weeks) after being passed in a bowel movement to become infectious for another person, ' the FDA said. Therefore, it is unlikely that cyclosporiasis is passed directly from one person to another.

A recall was also issued in mid-June for the Del Monte trays, which included baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and dill dip, and were labeled for sale by Jun 17.

The Del Monte vegetable trays - packaged with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip - were recalled in June from Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond's, Sentry, Potash, Meehan's, Country Market, FoodMax Supermarket and Peapod stores.

FDA has not identified which of the ingredients is the vehicle for this outbreak; each component of these vegetable trays is under consideration.

The investigation is ongoing and the CDC will provide updates when more information is available.

Consumers who have purchased the recalled items should not consume them and throw them away immediately.

Like this: